The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all – including students who fall behind or have been considered “hard to serve” for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Interim Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 77% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 18% are served by the Office of Special Education and 78% are students of color.
WHO WE WANT:
Successful SCSD employees are all in for Syracuse students. They:
- Believe strongly that all students can learn at high levels;
- Demonstrate commitment to serving urban students, schools and communities;
- Are willing to put the interests of students first;
- Actively contribute to a culture of high expectations in schools and the district; and
- Build the relationships needed to serve our students well.
A Homebound Teacher will lead instruction in a positive and productive homebound setting for students who qualify due to medical approvals, disciplinary placement, and students’ placed in residential facilities when appropriate. Homebound Teachers are responsible for providing instruction for a minimum of five or ten hours a week depending on grade level. Homebound Teachers are tasked with leading lessons prescribed by classroom teachers.
ABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Office of Student Support Services and acting as the front line teacher for the student, the Homebound Teacher must, at a minimum:
- Demonstrate skills in oral and written communication with students, parents, and others to foster positive relationships.
- Attain required materials to instruct the students including to textbooks, assignments, and supplemental materials on a weekly basis while submitting completed assignments on the same weekly basis.
- Possess basic understanding and knowledge of current technology.
- Displays knowledge of learning styles and skill in using varied teaching methods to address student learning styles to implement instructional activities for maximum effectiveness.
- Ability to maintain appropriate student supervision so that students have a safe and orderly environment in which to learn.
- Uphold organized documentation and submit such documentation along the expected timelines.
- Maintain regular communication with The Office of Student Support Services regarding the student’s progress and barriers too.
- New York State Teaching Certification
- Independent Transportation
HOURS: In most situations, a Homebound Teacher may work up to 20 hours per week.
CONTACT: The Office of Student Support Services at (315) 435-4131.