ABOUT OUR DISTRICT
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all – including students who fall behind or have been considered “hard to serve” for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 77% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 18% are served by the Office of Special Education and 78% are students of color.
The Teaching and Learning Instructional Coach will provide instructional support and coaching to SCSD teachers as they work to implement the Common Core State Standards and district curriculum. The primary role of the instructional coach is to work with teachers to support best practices in using data, provide analysis of school-wide trends in instruction and make recommendations about potential next steps to address areas of need.
As an advisor to teachers and principals, the instructional coach is responsible for providing support in designing of units and lessons, content knowledge in all academic areas, analyzing data in order to modify curriculum and forms of assessment and sharing of best practices.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide comprehensive instructional coaching in all academic areas.
- Collaborate with teachers and provide specific strategies for improved instructional delivery.
- Serve as a resource in identifying appropriate research-based instructional strategies and interventions to improve achievement for all students. Specific emphasis will be placed on appropriate strategies for improving the academic achievement of English Language Learners (ELLs), students with disabilities, and struggling readers.
- Support teachers by providing feedback on lessons and assessments that align with the Common Core State Standards and the Syracuse City School District curriculum.
- Provide professional development and materials to support teachers.
- Serve as a coach to teachers by providing expert advice on improving and enhancing individual lessons and units based on ongoing analysis. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Reviewing lesson plans, unit plans and assessments
- Understanding the District scope and sequence
- Observing classroom instruction and offering comprehensive analysis and feedback
- Conducting demonstrations and modeling lessons for classroom teachers
- Support the development of curriculum and advise pacing on the scope and sequence based on essential content knowledge as outlined in the state and national standards.
- Cultivate a standards-based, data and results-oriented culture.
- Make recommendations on best practices for supporting curricular alignment across all grade levels and individual schools.
- Collaborate with master teachers and principals in determining appropriate resources and support for teachers.
- Lead teacher study groups to increase content and pedagogical knowledge of mathematics instruction.
- Assist teachers with implementation of Response-to-Intervention framework.
- Collaborate with the teacher support team to develop and implement plans designed to assist struggling students.
- Complete any additional duties as assigned by the Chief Academic Officer and or Building Principal.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Strong record of helping students achieve academic success, primarily with students of color and low-income students.
- Significant experience with curriculum development and daily lesson planning.
- Experience in analyzing data and using results to modify lessons.
- Knowledge of and experience with backwards designed curricular models and Understanding by Design.
- Significant experience with instructional best practices.
- Ability to model positive and healthy character traits and habits, such as being organized, consistent and understanding.
- Comfort and willingness to actively participate in school community.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the SCSD mission and willingness to serve the SCSD community.
- Experience in professional development and leadership roles working with adults
- Ability to plan, model, coach and provide feedback to individual teachers and teams of teachers to improve teaching and learning.
- Experience implementing effective instructional practices, designing engaging lessons, using data and formative assessment in the classroom and implementing the four-tiered intervention system.
- Minimum five (5) years of teaching experience required.
- Minimum three (3) years experience leading other teachers to achieve strong academic results.
- Appropriate New York State Teacher Certification. (Teachers with certification in Special Education or TESOL encouraged to apply.)
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit; be flexible, willing and able to play different instructional roles at the school; and be willing to go above and beyond to meet the varied and constant needs of the students of the SCSD.
- Excellent organizational, communication and facilitation skills.
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- Training and or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Ability to work beyond the ten-month school year and student day.
- This position will earn a stipend of $8,000, in addition to the current starting salary of $47,500 for SCSD Teachers. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Teachers who are assigned to work at schools with extended learning time will receive an additional stipend up to $5,480.
- Teachers will have opportunities to teach in our Summer School Programs, receiving an hourly rate of $41.40.
- Teachers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District’s Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please visit www.joinsyracusecityschools.com/teachers and click on the link to the Syracuse Urban Fellowship Program.