108 SHONNARD ST, SYRACUSE, New York, 13204
Please note that this posting is for anticipated openings for the upcoming 2017-2018 school year. Locations will vary depending on availability. We expect to begin the screening process in April 2017.
ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all – including students who fall behind or have been considered “hard to serve” for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 77% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 18% are served by the Office of Special Education and 78% are students of color.
The expanded impact teacher plans and delivers in-person instruction for multiple classes in a school where students rotate between a paraprofessional and the expanded impact teacher. While one class of students works with a paraprofessional to cover basic knowledge and skills, the expanded impact teacher teaches another class of students, focusing on delivering personalized and enriched instruction. The teacher is responsible for planning, preparing, and delivering instruction, and monitoring student progress to determine instructional needs. (S)he is also responsible for monitoring the effectiveness of the paraprofessional’s instruction and making or recommending changes. The teacher collaborates with team members, such as other teachers, tutors, and assistant teachers, to review student progress and change instruction as needed to ensure high-progress, enriched learning for every child. The team leader variation combines this role with multi-classroom leadership, and includes authority to choose and manage team members and digital resources.
REPORTS TO: School Principal
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Expanded Impact Teacher will be expected to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Planning and Preparation
- Set high expectations of achievement that are ambitious and measurable for students
- Plan backward to align all lessons, activities, and assessments
- Determine how students spend instructional time (e.g., with digital software for knowledge and skill acquisition, large and small groups with teacher, project-based learning, and individual interventions with tutors or assistant teachers, etc.)
- Design in-person instruction that is enriched (developing higher-order thinking skills) and personalized (reflecting learning levels and interests of individual students)
- Design assessments that accurately assess student progress and/or incorporate digital assessments
- Classroom Environment
- Hold students accountable for high expectations of behavior and engagement that are ambitious and measurable
- Create physical classroom environments conducive to collaborative and individual learning
- Establish a culture of respect, enthusiasm, and rapport
- Hold students accountable for ambitious, measurable standards of academic achievement
- Identify and address individual students’ social, emotional, and behavioral learning needs and barriers
- Identify and address individual students’ development of organizational and time-management skills
- Invest students in their learning using a variety of influence techniques
- Incorporate questioning and discussion in student learning
- Incorporate small-group and individual instruction to personalize and tailor instruction to individual needs
- Monitor and analyze student data from assessments to inform enriched instruction by teacher, follow-up tutoring by tutor(s) or assistant teacher(s), and changes in digital instruction
- Provide tutor(s) or assistant teacher(s) with student groupings and specific instructional assignments for follow-up tutoring
- Communicate with students and keep them informed of their progress
- Professional Responsibilities
- Solicit and eagerly receive feedback from supervisor and team members to improve professional skills
- Maintain regular communication with families, and work collaboratively with them to design learning both at home and at school, and to encourage a home life conducive to learning success
- Collaborate with other teachers, tutors, assistant teacher(s) and lab monitor(s) to analyze student data, group students, teach, and assign interventions
- Participate in professional development opportunities at school
- All candidates must possess New York State teacher certification in their subject area, or qualify to obtain it by the first date of employment. Licensed teachers from other states may qualify for reciprocity. We encourage candidates with ENL or SPED educational backgrounds to apply.
- Possess a Master’s Degree in education or related field.
- Must have two consecutive years of “effective” or “highly effective” ratings per APPR.
- Minimum five years full-time classroom teacher experience in urban school environment.
- Experience facilitating adult teams and learning opportunities.
- Adaptable to the complexities of the urban school environment.
- Strong belief that all students can learn at high levels.
- Experience adapting to and meeting the social/emotional needs of all children.
- Experience teaching students with disabilities preferred.
- Experience in research-based methods for English language learner instruction preferred.
- Proven experience to accelerate student academic and learning performance.
- Familiar with school-level best practices to build and sustain change.
- Knowledge and willingness to attain deep understanding of Common Core Learning Standards and instructional shifts in education.
- Proven experience in collecting and analyzing student performance data to inform instructional decisions that accelerate learning.
- Training and/or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- SCSD Expanded Impact Teachers receive a $6,500 stipend, in addition to the current starting salary of $47,500 for SCSD Teachers. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement. pending approval.
- Teachers who are assigned to work at schools with extended learning time will receive an additional stipend up to $5,480.
- Teachers will have opportunities to teach in our Summer School Programs, receiving an hourly rate of $41.40.
- Teachers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District’s Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please visit www.joinsyracusecityschools.com/teachers and click on the link to the Syracuse Urban Fellowship Program.