Please note that this posting is for anticipated openings for the upcoming 2017-2018 school year. Locations will vary depending on availability. We expect to begin the screening process in March/April 2017.
ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all – including students who fall behind or have been considered “hard to serve” for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 77% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 18% are served by the Office of Special Education and 78% are students of color.
Associate ensures that students receive technology based instruction and/or
small group intervention that aligns with district curriculum to ensure that
students are successful in ELA and Math.
The ability to build a positive rapport with students and colleagues is
critical in the role. The successful candidate will support school staff to
deliver technology based instructional programs that meet the academic needs of
REPORTS TO: Principal
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(These duties represent a sample and may vary by position)
- Instructs individual students or groups of students in curricular areas as guided by the Reach teacher(s)
- Plans and collaborates with the Reach teacher(s) to devise special strategies, including the use of digital learning or technology as appropriate, for reinforcing skills and concepts based on the understanding of individual students and their needs, interests and abilities
- Assesses student learning progress in the group, utilizing technology and digital learning tools as appropriate, and communicates results and recommendations to Reach teacher(s)
- Holds students accountable for ambitious learning goals
- Invests students in their learning using a variety of influence techniques
- Holds students accountable for high expectations of behavior and engagement that are ambitious and measurable
- Identifies and addresses individual students’ social, emotional, and behavioral learning needs and barriers, and organizational and time management skills
- Establishes and contributes to a culture of respect, enthusiasm, and rapport
- Creates environments conducive to collaborative and individual learning
- Supervises, monitors and manages students as requested, including but not limited to, transition times, less structured time, and individual work time, which may include digital learning
- Assists in administrative paperwork, including but not limited to, checking materials and portfolios, correcting papers, supervising, and testing as directed
- Maintains a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students
- Other duties as assigned
All candidates must possess New York State certification as a Teaching Assistant.
The current SCSD starting salary for this position is $20,464* with an additional $6,000 stipend per the Unit 8 contractual agreement.
*This is the starting salary for SCSD Teaching Assistants.