Please note that this posting is for anticipated openings for the upcoming 2017-2018 school year. Locations will vary depending on availability. We expect to begin the screening process in February 2017.
ABOUT OUR DISTRICT
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all – including students who fall behind or have been considered “hard to serve” for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Interim Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 77% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 18% are served by the Office of Special Education and 78% are students of color.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
We are pursuing bold strategies to increase student achievement by increasing adult capacity and leadership. To do this, we have developed new roles that allow passionate and effective teachers the opportunity to stay connected to kids as a classroom teacher while also directly contributing to the development of other teacher colleagues.
There was a time when a great teacher had two choices: stay in the classroom or leave to become an administrator. There were limited opportunities to advance your career or expand your reach while working as a classroom teacher. But traditional school leaders have only an indirect impact on instruction. Their work may include designing processes, planning use of resources, leading professional development, providing observation and feedback, and offering instructional coaching, but they are not classroom teachers. In the Syracuse City School District, there’s a third option: become a Multi-Classroom Leader (MCL). The new-world role of MCL combines planning, coaching, and direct teaching. For many who wish to extend their reach, it is a dream job.
The multi-classroom leader (MCL) ensures that student and teacher performance are on track to meet ambitious school targets. The MCL serves as a model classroom teacher and staff developer. Building a positive rapport with all colleagues is critical in the role along with success in getting positive results for kids through curriculum, instruction, and assessment. Student advocacy and teacher efficacy are top priorities for this role. Success in the role is exhibited through student academic growth and increased teacher effectiveness as measured by the Danielson Framework for Teaching (2011).
- All candidates must possess New York State teacher certification in their subject area, or qualify to obtain it by the first date of employment. Licensed teachers from other states may qualify for reciprocity. We encourage candidates with ENL or SPED educational backgrounds to apply.
- Possess a Master’s Degree in education or related field.
- Must have two consecutive years of “effective” or “highly effective” ratings per APPR.
- Minimum five years full-time classroom teacher experience in urban school environment.
- Experience facilitating adult teams and learning opportunities.
- Adaptable to the complexities of the urban school environment.
- Strong belief that all students can learn at high levels.
- Experience adapting to and meeting the social/emotional needs of all children.
- Experience teaching students with disabilities preferred.
- Experience in research-based methods for English language learner instruction preferred.
- Proven experience to accelerate student academic and learning performance.
- Familiar with school-level best practices to build and sustain change.
- Knowledge and willingness to attain deep understanding of Common Core Learning Standards and instructional shifts in education.
- Proven experience in collecting and analyzing student performance data to inform instructional decisions that accelerate learning.
- Training and or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- SCSD Multi-Classroom Leaders received $7,500 stipend, in addition to the current starting salary of $47,500 for SCSD Teachers. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Teachers who are assigned to work at schools with extended learning time will receive an additional stipend up to $5,651.
- Teachers will have opportunities to teach in our Summer School Programs, receiving an hourly rate of $41.40.
- Teachers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District’s Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please visit www.joinsyracusecityschools.com/teachers and click on the link to the Syracuse Urban Fellowship Program.