Please note that if you have already applied for a Family & Consumer Science Teacher position for the 2016-2017 school year, your application is still active. You do not need to re-apply here.
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all – including students who fall behind or have been considered “hard to serve” for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Interim Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 77% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 18% are served by the Office of Special Education and 78% are students of color.
Who We Want
Successful SCSD educators are passionately committed to urban education and all in for Syracuse students. They:
- Believe strongly that all students can learn at high levels;
- Demonstrate commitment to serving urban students, schools or communities, and to closing the achievement gap;
- Demonstrate willingness to put the interests of students above all others;
- Actively contribute to a culture of high expectations in their school and district;
- Adapt seamlessly to the complexities of the urban school environment; and
- Follow current trends in education policy and research, including Common Core standards, comprehensive assessment systems and data-driven instruction.
Reporting to the principal, the teacher ensures that all their students achieve ambitious academic outcomes. The teacher must effectively:
- Plan data-driven, standards-aligned and differentiated units, lessons and activities;
- Deliver clear, accurate and rigorous lessons with a range of instructional and formative assessment techniques;
- Establish and maintain a supportive, productive and positive learning environment with strong classroom management practices; and
- Monitor and communicate about student progress while engaging in continuous reflection, adjustment and professional development.
- The teacher will perform additional related duties as required.
- Proven experience accelerating measurable student learning in urban schools (preferred)
- Minimum of two years’ successful classroom teaching experience (preferred)
- All candidates must possess New York State teacher certification in their subject area, or qualify to obtain it by the first date of employment. This requires at least a Bachelor’s degree. Licensed teachers from other states may qualify for reciprocity.
The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is $47,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.